Our History

Scouting has been taking place across the High Peak for over a century and it’s showing no sign of stopping. Take a moment to read the history of the High Peak Scout District (so far).

Two Districts, One Story

The High Peak Scout District started life as the local association of Chapel-en-le-Frith, first formed on 21st October 1925. In 1938, the local association was renamed to High Peak, with the terminology being changed to “district” in 1967.

High Peak Local Association Warrant Certificate – 1938
(courtesy of Scout Heritage Service)

Collaboration and a Competition

Despite being two separate districts, Buxton and the High Peak had periods of being closely integrated. In the late 1940s, they shared Mr S H Charnley as the same District Commissioner, and both teams entered teams in a brand new Patrol competition, which would later become known as the Taylor Trophy.

Instituted by the then chair of Buxton District, Eric Taylor, the first competition was held in the village of Combs where the Trophy was first won by 1st Chapel, who would remain victorious when the competition was next run in 1954 for the opening weekend of the District’s campsite, Gradbach, where Mr Taylor had been instrumental in its purchase.

The Merger

In 2004 the District as we know it was formed, following the merger of High Peak District (consisting of 1st Chapel, 1st Chinley, 2nd Furness Vale, 1st Hayfield, and 1st Taxal) and Buxton District (consisting of 1st Buxton, 3rd Buxton, 14th Buxton, and 17th Buxton). At the point of the merge, 2nd Furness Vale closed, leaving eight Scout groups. Between them, they decided to retain the High Peak name, which reflected the covered area, but would use the old Buxton District badge.

The “modern” version of the District/County badge.

A log book entry from an early group camp on the ground of Gradbach.
(courtesy of 1st Chapel Scout Group)

A Brief Look At Gradbach

You’ll find more in depth information about our District Scout Camp here, but it would be rude not to give the site a mention on this page.

Scout groups have camped on Gradbach’s grounds from at least 1925, with one of these being Manchester’s 2nd Chorlton-cum-Hardy Scout Group. More locally, 1st Chapel are known to have used the site since 1944, 8 years before Buxton District purchased the site, and 10 years before it officially opened.

Opening in 1954, Gradbach Scout Camp was the perfect memorial for Buxton Scout Peter Watson, who sadly died of a terminal illness just shy of his 13th Birthday.

From then on, the site has been looked after and maintained by an incredible team of volunteer site staff.

The content on this page – including both media and historical information – is courtesy of our groups, leaders, and the Scout Heritage Service.